We are very excited to see the return of our mini program this year. While we had hoped to offer this programming last year, it was too much of a task for a club of our size - but we hope that in 2021 we bounce back with an even more fun-filled schedule for all our players and you the parents. Due to restrictions still being enforced, things may look a little different this year, but we are so very lucky to call PEI home and to be in a position to offer soccer to the kids in our community. Thanks to the great work of Dr. Morrison, the CPHO and the fantastic support of PEI Soccer - we hope this will be a very successful year and of course with the safety of all our players being a priority we hope all players and parents can follow the below policies and plans;
- Our mini program will start on July 5th, once school is out and will run on Mondays and Thursdays from 6.00 to 7.00. As the season progresses Mondays will be game night (U7 & U9 only!!!) and Thursdays will be practice for all.
- On July 5th we will start with a practice night for all, as we know everyone is itching to get out on the fields.
- Practices will run for 45 fun filled minutes and we will stagger entry to the fields based on age group. e.g. U3's & U7's will be directed by a volunteer to enter their field at 6, U5's & U9's at 6.10 - see the field layout in the below and we'd ask parents to adhere to the parking plans where possible.
- U3 and U5 will be allowed to have 1 parent to 1 player on the field of play and as both groups will be separated by 20ft, they will be a separate cohort of 50. We will be enforcing no crossing of cohorts.
- U7 and U9 can have parents spectate with a maximum of two spectators seated in front of their vehicle respecting social distancing protocols.
PARKING AND FIELD LAYOUT
- In the link below, we have colour coded the specified areas where each team will play and where parking is available for parents of each age group. Parking is restricted at our complex so if an area is full, we'd ask parents to please be patient and use the mall parking lot as an overflow.
Fields will be laid out as follows - (**colours referenced are on the link to map);
- U3's will play on the blue highlighted section between the mall and the highway field - U3 parents will be asked to park along the right hand side of the parking area (highlighted in yellow on the map)
- U5's will play on the red highlighted section between the mall and the highway side field - U5 parents are asked to park on the left hand side of the parking area.
- U7's will play on the orange highlighted section of the highway side field. Parents are asked to park along this section - i.e. to the right of the bleachers toward the mall.
- U9's will play on the grey highliighted section of the highway side field. Parents are asked to park along this section - i.e. to the left of the bleachers toward the maintenance buildings.
We ask that in absolutely no circumstances, anyone park in spaces allocated for the inside field (highlighted in purple) as there are games for U18 and Seniors taking place throughout the summer that coincide with our mini nights. Again, while it may be a pain to use the mall lot - it's in the interest of safety and keeping our sesaon going so we would very much appreciate assistance in this over the summer.
- There will be no game nights for the U3 and U5 teams. They'll get lots of opportunity to display their skills at practice!
- U7's will not play every week, other King's County clubs will host game nights that will be scheduled closer to the season in a mini jamboree type model (this means less travel, but still lots of games)
- U9's will have a game night each week (for the most part) and if there is a bye week, we will hold a practice.
As ever, we need coaches at all age groups - U3 and U5 parents will be asked to take an active role with their players this year to avoid crossing cohorts etc. While we are aware that many families will have players in different age groups, we'd ask that we keep the kiddos in their own space - they are likely more used to this than us adults at this point so your assistance and patience with this is greatly appreciated. U7s and U9s will not need as many coaches but we still ask for help - please sign up as a staff member through our registration page. And best of all, this is available for the low, low cost of "FREE"!
COVID policies and safeguards
- We will be asking for parents to sign-in at each practice and game for contact tracing purposes. We are working on the best format for this, but volunteer help would be appreciated here as well!
- If anyone is displaying symptoms of COVID in the household, we'd ask that you keep your player home and get in touch with a board member of the club (see "our club" section in the website) if there has been an exposure at our complex.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the complex and we'd ask all participants to use this through the game and practice nights.
- Equipment will be sanitized by our staff after each practice and game night, we'd ask that no equipment be taken from home.
We hope that everyone has a safe and enjoyable summer of soccer in Morell, we ask for patience and support as we navigate our way through this season and hopefully these restrictions and added planning will be a thing of the past soon enough. Overall, we should all just be very happy and thankful that we are in this position to offer our kids the opportunity to play! There are lots who would jump at the chance we have.
We hope everyone enjoys their summer and we'll see you a the fields.
Morell Strikers S.C.